Translate

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Review: My Journey to Find The Perfect Foundation(s)



I have been on an adventure to find my perfect foundation lately and I've tried a few, from the most loved drugstore to the most popular mid- to high-end ones. This comprehensive review is the result of being so behind on blog posting, which means I have so many products to share but don't have enough time to review each of them. I do hope that it's still helpful to you this way (if not more). I will not only mention the ones that I currently have but also the ones that didn't work for me and were returned or given away. (Note: The ones that I didn't return or give away are all my favorites.)

***** Drugstore Foundations *****


1. Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse in #Nude and #Creamy Natural ( ~ $8)




I first picked up this foundation because of its interesting texture. It blends so smoothly on skin. I found that it's best applying this foundation with clean fingers because it has little balls falling out when I apply with any brush. The finish is matte and looks flawless; it is not heavy but also not one of the lightweight foundations. I bought shade #5 Creamy Natural and then #4 Nude (which looks more yellow from the outside), but had to give up looking for the right shades at the end because both looked too pink on me. I gave both to my aunts because they are great foundations and seem to fit my aunts' skin tone better.

2. Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse in #Classic Ivory (~ $8)




I bought this cream compact foundation to use in the winter since I read that it was moisturizing. I found that everything was perfect for this purpose except for, again, its shades. It was sad since I love the natural finish, light feeling, decent coverage and how easy I could apply this foundation (I just swirl a flat-top brush around the pan and apply onto my face). As the Dream Matte Mousse, I had a hard time finding a yellow-tone light shade and gave it to my aunt.

3. Revlon ColorStay Makeup for Combination/Oily Skin in #150 Buff (~ $10)




The fact that this foundation is the holy grail foundation for many bloggers/ beauty gurus made it hard for me to pass it. It is not heavy nor it is lightweight; coverage is medium to full; finish is matte and staying powder is decent. Because I normally prefer lightweight foundation, to me this one leans a little to the heavier side and more like an "event" or "non-everyday" foundation. The biggest downside is that the bottle has no pump and it's impossible for me to just pour the product out because the consistency is too thick. I'm waiting to use up one of my skincare products to recycle its pump bottle.

***** Mid- to High-end Foundations *****


1. Shiseido UV Protective Stick Foundation SPF 37 in #02 Fair Ocre ($28)




Another foundation I bought for winter since most reviews said it was moisturizing. I was disappointed at how small this foundation was, as small as a lipstick. It had nice a natural finish but the size was just bothering me so much because the stick got shorter by a lot after 1 application. If I didn't return it, I could have used it up in 2 weeks.

2. Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup ($37)




This foundation is so close to become my most favorite everyday foundation. It is very lightweight, very comfortable on my skin and applies beautifully with natural finish. It does have a pump and the bottle is plastic, not glass. The consistency is thin and I need to shake it very well before application. Note that it works for me because I have combination skin; ones with dry skin should stay away because it accentuates dry patches. I still prefer a more moisturizing one for the coldest time of winter and an oil-free matte foundation for the warmest time of summer. Another downside is that it is oxidized during the day and the effect (foundation looks darker) is pretty obvious.

3. Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover Foundation ($43)



A friend recommended this foundation and I'm glad I bought it. It does feel a little heavy for my liking as an everyday foundation. However, it looks very nice in real life and in photos so I'm saving it for night/special events.

4. Rouge Bunny Rouge Skin Sanctuary Time Defying Foundation ($55)





Ahhh ... this foundation ... so pretty ... so luxurious ... I just can't say enough good things about it. It looks flawless on skin with a matte finish, stays on all day, doesn't accentuate dry patches, doesn't get cakey, and doesn't make my face oily. One thing preventing me from using it everyday is its price. Also, it is not heavy but not lightweight either and I can't get over the preference for lightweight foundations in everyday use.


Rouge Bunny Rouge (RBR) is a London-born and Moscow-London based brand that created luxurious cosmetics with beautiful fairy-tale design. The regular price of this foundation is $55 but I bought it from HauteLook for $35. The discounted price makes it a little more affordable but it's still hard to get this foundation as well as other RBR's products because HauteLook's discount for RBR is not frequently offered. If you're interested in buying from this brand at discounted prices, click to sign up and keep an eye on the website's discount events.

5. Philosophy Miracle Worker ($40)






I bought Philosophy's Miracle Worker foundation along with the Hope in a Jar foundation when Ulta had the 21 Days of Beauty Steals for $25 each. I saw reviews saying that the Hope in a Jar was more oily so I planed to use that one for winter and the Miracle Worker for all year, but the result is completely opposite. Miracle Worker is very lightweight and moisturizing so it applies smoothly. Coverage is light to medium and the finish looks natural. However, it was only 60 F degree when I tried the foundation for the first time and my face turned super oily after 3 hours. I still like it very much because I was looking for a good everyday winter foundation and this one is perfect for that purpose! I feel that it is a great foundation for dry skin too!

6. Philosophy Hope in a Jar in #4 ($39)




Hope in a Jar is such a pleasant foundation to use everyday: it has a scent that smells like tea, looks like skin because it is super lightweight, blends smoothly, leaves natural finish and lasts all day. Coverage is light to medium for me but many people find it too sheer. Shade 4 of the Hope in a Jar is lighter than shade 4 of the Miracle Worker. The bottle is plastic making it look more like a deluxe sample, a disappointment considering the price.

Like Miracle Worker, this foundation is very moisturizing when being applied; however, it dries to a semi-matte finish with some glow. Although it is perfect as my everyday foundation, it might be too dry when the temperature is cold since at a later time of a day when it was under 40F, I started to see dry spots. I have found the best way to use this foundation - mix it with the UD Naked foundation. The reasons:
(1) UD Naked helps tone down the shade of the Hope in a Jar which is a little lighter than my skin tone,
(2) moisturizing texture of the Hope in a Jar helps preventing UD Naked from accentuating my dry spots when applied,
(3) the hydrating UD Naked prevents the Hope in a Jar from drying out my skin,
And (4) both of them are lightweight so mixing the two will not make my foundation heavier.

This combination has created my perfect everyday foundation!

7. Benefit Hello Flawless Powder SPF15 in #'I Love Me' Ivory ($34)



This is the first powder foundation that works just as well as if not better than my favorite liquid foundations above. The reason I normally prefer liquid foundations to powders is that powders don't blend very well into my skin and/or don't last very long. Power foundations usually need high maintenance since I will need to touch up during the day. Well, not with this Hello Flawless powder! The name says it all: the finish is FLAWLESS! It is not cakey and not heavy; it lasts me all day without touching up (at least when it's not too hot and humid); and the packaging is so cute. I love that it has both brush and sponge for different purposes. The powder is very smooth and soft to the touch and feels luxurious. It is definitely my most favorite powder foundation as the moment!


Beside these new foundations, I tried 2 others previously and also did the reviews for them. The first one is the Pür Minerals 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup SPF 15 and the other one is the Shiseido UV Protective Liquid Foundation SPF 42.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!
Have a question, advice, or thought you want to share? Feel free to leave a comment!
Want more reviews, makeup tutorials and tips? Join my blog with GFC, Bloglovin', Google+, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...