Translate

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Review: [Real Techniques] Brushes

Here's another brush tag!!!

Today I will review the 4 makeup brushes from Real Techniques (RT) that I own. I know I don't have a big collection compared to the others who know about the brand and buy all of their brush sets but ... I'm not too crazy about brushes since I already have all basic ones (most of which are from EcoTools). Okay, here we go!



If you pay attention you would already notice they have different colors: Gold for foundation/base, Pink for blush/contour/highlighting and Purple for eyes.

1. Shading brush ($6):  /5

This is the first RT that I bought. I use it a lot to apply dark eyeshadow on the outer part of my eyelids. It has the perfect size for my small Asian eyelids and does a decent job.

2. Setting brush ($8):  /5

I like to use this brush for highlighting because of its size. I actually already have another highlighting brush from EcoTools Alicia Silverstone set called Mini Face Brush which I absolutely love! That one feels super soft and fluffy so I prefer using it to apply a matte eyeshadow as a base for eye makeup. The RT setting brush is denser so I think it is more suitable for highlighting (you don't want shimmers allover the place). It isn't as soft as the EcoTools mini face brush though.

3. Blush brush ($9):  /5

This one is the biggest brush that I own! A lot of people say it is too big for a blush brush so they use it as a powder brush instead. I hesitated a little because I don't like pink color allover my cheeks but got it anyway because of its unique egg shape that I've never seen before. I'm glad I did! This brush actually makes it very easy for me to apply powder blushes: I use the tip to pick up the product and apply where I want it to be, then use a little more pressure to blend it out. The brush is very soft and feels nice on skin. I don't have cream blushes but if I do, I think a denser brush might be better (such as the small Real Techniques Stippling Brush).

4. Expert face brush ($9):  /5

It is my most recent RT purchase. I've been loving my EcoTools Custom Coverage Buffing brush so, so much - it gives me an air-brushed look! I bought this expert face brush just in case I want more coverage because the brush is denser. I compared the two brushes in the pictures below.

- Application: Despite the small size, the RT is just as easy and quick to apply BB cream as the EcoTools. Both can be used with circular motion.

- Coverage: I tested the coverage by using each brush on each side of my face. The result was the coverage looked the same on both sides for me, maybe because I don't have many blemishes. My pores were covered well on both sides but I'm not sure it was b/c of the brushes since my Holika Holika Aqua Petit Jelly BB Cream is already light weight and covers pores pretty well. The only thing is it felt a little thick (which I don't like) on the side I used RT expert face brush so I guess it gives a tad more coverage than the EcoTools.

- Overall: I do feel that the RT expert face brush helps me get to the narrow areas more easily due to the shape so it can be used for both foundation and concealer. However, since I prefer an air-brushed look with lightweight feel and decent coverage, I prefer the EcoTools custom coverage buffing brush.



Even though I feel that the quality of the brushes from both brands are equally good and they're both affordable, I still love EcoTools more because their brushes are softer in my opinion . For now, RT is my second choice.


*** My opinion about brushes in general:

- If you use face powder, powder blush, highlighter/bronzer, you obviously have to get powder, blush and contour brushes. Can't use powder with hands right?

- I prefer to use brushes for eye makeup but a lot of makeup beginners to makeup artists use hands.

- Last but not least: for liquid foundation/BB cream, I don't use a flat brush and apply like painting the product on my face - takes so much time + hard to blend evenly = just doesn't work for me. I highly recommend using a stippling brush like the EcoTools or RT face expert mentioned above (EcoTools review is HERE). They'll give you a more even and flawless look; I'm done with using hands to apply BB cream! I know the higher-end Mac and Sigma also have stippling brush for liquid foundation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!
Have a question, advice, or thought you want to share? Feel free to leave a comment!
Want more reviews, makeup tutorials and tips? Join my blog with GFC, Bloglovin', Google+, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...