Translate

Monday, February 29, 2016

Review: [Burberry] Lip Velvet Lipstick and [YSL] Rouge Pur Couture the Mats Lipstick



My matte-lipstick madness has continued with these two beautiful babies from Burberry and YSL. The two are in different shades of red because I felt that if I wanted to invest in a luxurious lipstick, it had to be a bold color that I would normally like to wear to a special party/event. To me these lipsticks are perfect in their own way so there will be no con but I will discuss how to use them to get the best performance.

YSL Rouge Pur Couture the Mats Lipstick in #202 Rose Crazy





  • Packaging: Of course this famous lipstick has a pretty packaging: very luxurious with gold all over! 
  • Pigmentation: good pigmentation and very beautiful shade. Described as a cranberry red, this shade looks more fuchsia than a typical cool red since it has quite a bit of pink in it. I love, love this color! 
  • Finish: Although the name suggests it is a matte lipstick but it isn’t. I would say it has a semi-matte finish. 
  • Texture: Very creamy but … okay, this is the tricky part. I almost hated it at first because it got all over my face and hands whenever I tried to apply it; it just never set! Also, because it left a stain wherever it touched, I had so much trouble erasing lipstick marks on my face and hands (and teeth, lol). I’m not someone who is so inexperience with lipsticks that I apply a lipstick like a little child! Then I found out that it was the creamy texture of the lipstick not going so well with my EOS lip balm, which is so weird because EOS lip balm is not slippery and has been the only thing I can wear underneath a lipstick. This lipstick must be used on its own, no lip balm whatsoever! However, I think you should still have a lip balm on to keep your lips in the best condition and wipe it off just right before applying this lipstick. It’s also better to put a tissue paper on your lips afterwards so that the excess product can be taken away and won’t make a mess on your face. It can feel a little thick if you accidentally apply too much because of its creamy texture. 
  • Longevity: Decent. After a greasy meal the lipstick will be gone but the stain will stay. In an unrealistic situation when you can’t find food or drink (so you don’t eat/drink), the lipstick will stay on forever.

Burberry Lip Velvet in #433 Poppy Red






  • Packaging: Also pretty packaging with Burberry’s signature pattern; however, this lipstick has magnetic closure. I absolutely love this type of packaging and prefer it to the type that has a snap closure. 
  • Pigmentation: Very pigmented. This red shade is a little toned down compared to the normal bright red so it’s very wearable. I had a hard time deciding between Poppy Red and Military Red because they look so similar and Military Red is more popular. Then I decided to get the Poppy Red which looked a little darker on the pictures online. 
  • Finish: This is definitely a matte lipstick but it is not too matte that it makes my lips look “flat”. Instead, it is a very soft and velvety matte. All I can say is the finish looks very flattering. 
  • Texture: Creamy, not too much but just enough so that I can apply a thin layer on my lips smoothly. I can put it on top of my lip balm with no problem. Although it is matte, it is not drying at all and makes my lips feel very comfortable. I haven’t tried it without a lip balm but I always prefer putting a lip balm on first anyways so it doesn’t really matter. 
  • Longevity: Incredible! I used this lipstick at my company’s formal holiday party and it survived through a meal! I also snacked and drank water countless time during the party and my lip color still looked very good. I didn’t have to reapply at all, which is crazy! I have to say this is the most long-wearing lipstick I’ve ever had and I’m thinking about getting another color. 
Top: YSL, Bottom: Burberry

I hope you enjoy the review. I know YSL lipsticks are very popular and I like them too, but if you want a good matte lipstick, I will definitely recommend the Burberry Lip Velvet lipsticks because they are the best matte lipsticks I've ever used!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!
Have a question, advice, or thought you want to share? Feel free to leave a comment!
Want more reviews, makeup tutorials and tips? Join my blog with GFC, Bloglovin', Google+, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...