Translate

Friday, August 7, 2015

One-Brand Review: E.L.F (Eyes Lips Face) Cosmetics


 ELF Cosmetics is the brand that reminds me the time when I first wore makeup about 7 years ago and also the brand I bought my first makeup from. I remember buying their lip glosses, cream eyeliners, eyeliner/eyeshadow duo sticks and a clear mascara but I didn't really like any of those except for the last one. I don't want to review those products now because I bought them so long ago so it would be unfair for ELF if they've improved their products. I've recently rediscovered the brand since I've started to hear a lot of raves about their makeup and brushes from other bloggers and YouTubers. Here are what I bought:

Matte Lip Color in Rich Red ($3)



Rating kisses (out of 5): 

This matte lip color is creamy and comfortable on my lips, not drying at all, yet also lightweight. Those pros alone make up for 4 kisses. The fifth kiss is for this particular shade only. I've loved the shade Monte Carlo of the NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream, which is a blue-toned red. However, I don't really like the lip cream's formula since it dries out my lips, so I had been searching for the same shade with a better formula. This shade is very hard to find but I finally found it! My search has come to an end! Because the other shades are either nude/neutral or dark, I hope they would have brighter shades in the future.


Studio Poreless Face Primer ($6)



Rating kisses: 

In terms of covering pore and keeping the makeup longer, it is a decent product. My pores don't completely disappear but their appearance is reduced. Most people complain about the weird and strong "chemical" smell, but it's actually the scent of tea tree oil which is good for skin; strangely, I enjoy that scent a lot. This primer has a slippery feel (not "greasy" like many people said) instead of powdery, which makes it perfect under foundations that have a very dry texture and are hard to blend. I would describe it as a moisturizing primer.


Essential Acne Fighting Spot Gel with Aloe (Zit Zapper - $2)



Rating kisses: 

This acne treatment is very good when I see the first sign of pimples! I don't have acne problems but sometimes a pimple just pops up from nowhere and it hurts!!! Again, I've found that this product works well when a pimple is ABOUT to form (meaning the troubled area on your skin hurts when you touch it but is hard to be seen or just slightly pink); after applying the product, the pain and/or the pinkish spot will disappear overnight. That being said, this treatment gel isn't that effective on already-formed pimples; even so, at least the pimples won't proceed to the next stage (worsened).


Studio Daily Moisture Stick ($6)



Rating kisses: 

I bought this moisturizing stick to quickly fix my dry spots during the day without interfering with my makeup. It actually works well for this purpose. The stick has a light-weight gel formula and gives a weird feeling that I'm rubbing a lip balm onto my skin, but I don't mind it. I have combination skin and the weather is hot so I don't really reach for it now, but I can see myself using it more during fall/ winter.


Studio Eyebrow Kit ($3)



Rating kisses: 

This is a good product, especially for the price. The cream color is a little greasy so I do have to set my brows with the powder color if I want my brow color to last longer. I like it but I normally prefer the quick application of a brow pencil. Their Essential Instant Lift Brow Pencil has just come out recently and I'm very excited because I've heard it's a dupe of the famous $21 Anastasia Brow Wiz.


Flawless Finish Foundation ($6)



Rating kisses: 

I feel like this is a dupe of the Philosophy Miracle Worker Foundation (but not as lightweight), which means it is greasy and only good for dry skin. I don't think it is oil-free. It's still usable on my combination skin but I can only use it during the Winter. It is not heavy and has a smooth dewy finish so I don't hate it, but I don't think of it as one of my favorites.


Essential Clear Brow & Lash Mascara ($2)



Rating kisses: 

Sometimes I like to use a clear mascara to define my eyelashes on lazy days and I can only find this type of product at ELF. The lash mascara does help defining my eye lashes a little and the brow mascara keep my brows in place. For those who have straight lashes, don't curl your lash before applying this clear mascara but AFTER, because I find that the gel is pretty wet and tends to weigh my eyelashes down.


Studio Lip Exfoliator ($3)



Rating kisses: 

I like the concept of this stick exfoliator. I also like the yummy coffee scent and the sweet taste. Does it exfoliate my lips? Yes, but very gently. Sometimes I have a lot of dead skin on my lips that I prefer wetting my lips and rubbing the dead skin off since the exfoliator is too "gentle" to do the job well. This product is inexpensive so I do recommend you to try it out because I know some people prefer a more gentle product.


Essential Shine Eraser ($1)



Rating kisses: 

These sheets are essential for my combination skin on humid days. They're also so cheap and do the job, even though not as well as the ones from Clean & Clear (around $5) and I normally need more than 1 sheet to blot my face.


Essential Natural Lash Kit ($1)



Rating kisses: 

These lashes are not natural on my small and hooded eyes at all, but might be natural on other people.


Studio Eye Liner ($3)



Rating kisses: 

I bought five because it was so cheap, used one, and gave the rest away. This eyeliner breaks so easily and turns me to a panda in a few hours.


Studio Complexion Brush ($3)



Rating kisses: 

This is the brush I've been using for bronzing and contour. The bristles are soft enough to create natural contour. I have 2 of this brush and washed them multiple times but luckily no hair has come off.


Studio Stipple Brush ($3)



Rating kisses: 

I LOVE using this brush for powder blushes, especially the more pigmented ones. If you have highly pigmented powder blushes and have a hard time to work with them, GET THIS BRUSH! The size is perfect for my cheeks; not too small, not too big, just perfect! This brush is also good as a powder brush for an all-over-face light dusting.


Studio Small Stipple Brush ($3)



Rating kisses: 

I bought this brush to pair with my ColourPop Super Shock Cheek blushes and it is good for that purpose. The brush was meant for ELF's liquid blushes (the Studio HD Blushes) so I think it is a very good brush for liquid and cream blushes.


Studio Blush Brush ($3)



Rating kisses: 

This brush is good for a more precise application of blush and contour. I normally prefer a natural look of blush and contour so I don't reach for it that often, but I like to use it for less pigmented blushes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!
Have a question, advice, or thought you want to share? Feel free to leave a comment!
Want more reviews, makeup tutorials and tips? Join my blog with GFC, Bloglovin', Google+, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...